Every car owner is concerned about the protection of their vehicle when it is in the hands of someone else. And when it comes to car shipping companies, it is natural for you to get a bit nervous while handing over your car to them. You never know what kind of dents, scratches, or other damages your car arrives with.
Therefore, to safeguard the interests of the vehicle owner and protect their vehicle, many auto transport companies offer insurance coverage. But should you just rely on it? This is what we’ll discuss in this article.
So…Do I Need to Get Insurance When Getting Car Shipping Service?
Well, the answer to this is not a simple Yes or No! You need to be very thorough in asking the car transport company about their insurance policy. Most of the auto transport companies offer insurance that covers many things such as vandalism, damage, and even theft. However, the coverage policies and items covered vary from company to company.
If all the things you need to be covered are already provided by the existing insurance policy of the vehicle transport company, then you obviously won’t need to get extra coverage. However, if there are some things that you want to be covered, and they are not in the company’s policy, then yes, you will have to get extra insurance coverage.
How to Know How Much You Are Covered?
Now comes the main question, and that is if the existing insurance policy of the car transport service is enough for you or not. Different companies have different policies with different spectrums of coverage and limitations.
For instance, some companies might not cover the damages caused by natural disasters like earthquakes or storms. You may want to get an extra policy for that. So here are a few things you can ask them to know more:
- What kind of damages do I get coverage for?
- What about a deductible, is there any?
- What are the limitations of the policy?
- Are special items and add-ons like spoilers covered?
- Is your policy enough, or do I need to get additional coverage?
Things to Do When Hiring an Auto-shipping Company:
- Ask For Insurance Proof: Once you have found the best car shipping company, you should ask them the questions listed above; if they are happy to guide you, then it is a good indication that they are cooperative. Furthermore, ask them regarding the proof of insurance, you might be provided by an official card from their insurer confirming their insurance policy.
- Talk to Your Auto Insurance Provider: It is a good idea to talk to your own auto insurance company. Ask them if your vehicle is covered during transportation. And if it is, then what are the damages that are covered, and to what extent the car is covered.
- Remove Valuables: A good practice is to take out all of the valuables from your vehicles like GPS, radio, or your personal belongings because most of the policies don’t cover them. So in case of any theft, you will not be reimbursed.
- Vehicle Inspection Report: Lastly, get a vehicle inspection report to safeguard your interest and make it easy to file a claim and get recompensed. An inspection report is just a document with pictures of your vehicle’s condition before the shipping and any notable damages. The report is signed by both you and the carrier, and both of you keep a copy of it.
Over to You:
We suggest that no matter how expert the car shipping company is and how good their insurance policy is, get everything such as the damages covered and the limitations of their policy in writing. This will protect your interests better.